The topic I chose for the class response is owl pellets and learning about owls in general. For me, this was by far the most interesting topic in science I have learned so far. I've had so much fun disecting owl pellets and learning about owls digestive system. Although it was very gross, it wasnt as much as I had expected. Some things I have learned include owl pellets and the barn owl's digestive systems. What I found very interesting was that owls had to regurgitate or throw up dead bones, skin, and teeth. I found this very interesting and very cool. The best part of doing this experiment was finding out and sorting out which animal(s) my group had. I also found out about owl's two stomachs and how the glandular stomach compresses the dead matter and how the glandular stomach works similar to humans. These are some facts I found on owlpages.com:1, barn owls lack a crop. A crop is a sac in a mouth that storages food for later consumption. Therefore, the uneeded bones, skin, teeth, etc pass through the digestive system. Fact 2: Regurgitation symbolizes that an owl is ready to catch and eat new prey. I never knew that they would eat right away; I though that they would eat a couple of hours later. I also found a couple of facts on trails.com. One fact was that Owls can eat skunks. I find it surprising that owls can eat skunks . I find it disgusting but very interesting. I learned, from this article, that owls pellets can be found along a canyon wall. I just learned that if Owls regurgitate near canyon walls, that means that owls can live near canyons. I never even knew that Owls would ever live by one. I have learned many new things from this previous labs and lesson. I am so glad that SunnyD taught us all of these things in school.
<http://www.owlpages.com/articles.php?section=owl+physiology&title=Digestion>
<http://www.trails.com/facts_8244_what-owl-pellets.html>
No comments:
Post a Comment